Hack

Bannon: Hack reflects on short time south of the border

I’ll try to keep this as short as my time here.

I wasn’t going to write this at all — most of you will spend as many years in-house as I have months. But, when I look back at my time south of the border, I’ll remember The Daily Orange as much as any class or degree. I might as well take this opportunity to say thank you.

Thank you to my parents for pushing me to apply to Syracuse University in the first place, and for pushing me in general.

Thank you to my summer IA, Tyler, who first told me “the place” to get a clip was The D.O. and inspiring my first goal in July. Thank you to KJ for giving me a shot and helping me turn a clip into a beat. And thanks to Haley and Leff for trusting me to turn that shot into an in-house position.

I’m grateful to have been in the presence of the work-ethic machine that is Andrew Crane and honoured to be around for Danny Emerman’s lowest moment: the day his dog got traded. Thank you both for welcoming me into the house and editing out my extra Us and double Ls.

Thanks to my beat partners — Will, Gaurav, Aro and Crane — for covering P.J. Flanagan and, like, two lacrosse games with me. Thanks to everyone I worked in-house with and to the paper in general for allowing me to write a few stories I actually thought mattered for the first time. I think I nudged the rock.

I had only a few short months here — I could’ve kept my head down, got a degree and moved back to the Great White North — but I’m glad I chose to make the 25-minute walk across campus four nights a week.

Mitchell Bannon was an assistant sports editor for The Daily Orange, where his column will no longer appear. He can be reached at mbannon@syr.edu and on Twitter @MitchBannon.

— 30 —