Track and Field

Syracuse wins its 1st indoor ACC Championship

Following a national championship victory in cross country, head coach Chris Fox led the Orange to their first-ever ACC Indoor Championship, and first conference championship since 1992.

The Syracuse women’s team finished 11th as Shaina Harrison placed second in the 60-meter dash (7.29 seconds).

Syracuse also emerged with its second consecutive performer of the meet in Justyn Knight, who is still in his freshman season of eligibility for indoor track. Knight finished first in the 3000-meter race (8:02.68), edging Henry Wynne of Virginia, first in the 5000-meter race (14:01.70) and second in the distance medley relay.

Colin Bennie provided some depth in both events, finishing fourth in the 3,000-meter race (8:05.42) and third in the 5,000-meter race (14:02.88). Philo Germano narrowly missed the podium in the 3,000-meter, coming in ninth, but gained four points in the 5,000-meter race for the Orange.

Joel Hubbard (4:02.62) and Adam Palamar (4:02.73) capped off a their indoor seasons with second- and third-place finishes, respectively, in the mile, finishing behind Wynne.

Entering the meet, Syracuse boasted four of the top six 60m hurdlers in the conference. For the most part, that held in the meet, with Freddie Crittenden finishing first (7.74 seconds),  freshman Richard Floyd finishing third (7.86) and sophomore David Gilstrap finishing fourth (8.01). Freshman Chevis Armstead, who qualified for finals, was disqualified.

Winston Lee finished fifth for the Orange in the 60m dash in 6.77 seconds.

The Orange ended its weekend with 88 points, beating second-place Clemson by 11.5 and winning its first indoor track and field title in the ACC despite only gaining points in five events. The indoor NCAA championships will take place in Birmingham, Alabama March 11-12.